Updated On - April 12th 2021, Updated By - Danish
National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE)
National Council For Teacher Education (NCTE) is a legal body established under the National Council for Teacher Education Act, 1993. It regulates around the Indian government and was formed on 17th August 1995. The NCTE department known as the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) is situated in New Delhi.
It should meet the standards and norms set up by the Indian education scheme. It focuses on holding the status and regulations of teacher education. It is, however, facing hardships in providing the required standards and regulations for teacher education.
The aim is to eliminate the unskilled teacher from the educational institutes in our country. For more information related to NCTE, you can find out at the official website ncte.gov.in.
|Headquarters location:||New Delhi|
|Chairperson:||Vineet Joshi, IAS|
Sh. Sanjay Awasthi
Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development
NCTE functioned before 1995 too. It was labeled as a government advisory body in the past era. It did not exist as a separate body altogether. The aim was to advance and develop the strategy of teacher education in India. Since India had weak jurisdiction, NCTE couldn’t succeed in looking after the teachers’ progress. The authorized government was then established under National Policy on Education, 1986.
The National Council for Teacher Education, in its previous status since 1973, was an advisory body for the Central and State Governments on all matters pertaining to teacher education, with its Secretariat in the Department of Teacher Education of the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT).
Despite its commendable work in the academic fields, it could not perform essential regulatory functions, to ensure the maintenance of standards in teacher education and preventing the proliferation of substandard teacher education institutions.
The National Policy on Education (NPE),1986 and the Programme of Action thereunder envisaged a National Council for Teacher Education with statutory status and necessary resources as a first step for overhauling the system of teacher education.
Goals Of NCTE
The main objective is to improve the standards and regulations needed to be a good teacher. The teacher should be aware of the latest educational tools and technologies. Some of the objectives are mentioned below:-
- It makes the trainer competent to teach at the pre-primary, primary, and secondary levels.
- It provides rules and regulations that need to be kept for the teacher education method.
- It ensures collaborative development in the teacher education program.
NCTE Courses Recognised:
- Diploma in Arts Education (Performing Arts)
- The 4-yr integrated program leading to B.A.B.Ed/B.Sc.B.Ed Degree
- 3-yr (Part-Time) leading to Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) Degree
- B.Ed.M.Ed.(Integrated) Degree
Role Of National Council For Teacher Education
Some roles are adopted by NCTE to enhance the quality of teacher education in India. Teachers should be well-equipped with the latest educational technology. This is a necessary step required to impart education at all levels. The role of NCTE are as follows:-
- It covers aspects of the examination, eligibility criteria for admission, and approaches required for such training.
- On finding the reputed institutes, new ones are established for the progress of the teacher education program.
- It fosters and organizes research to build an innovative environment in schools and institutions.
NCTE Website is: https://ncte.gov.in/
Top Universities Approved By NCTE: