Updated On - September 23rd 2019, Updated By - Anshika Prakash
The Bar Council of India (BCI) is a legal body formed under the category of section 4 of Advocates Act, 1961. It is known to manage lawful practice and education all over India. The Bar Council of India elects the skilled lawyers to be a part of this program. It directs regulation of good conduct and professionalism to exert disciplinary authority as per the bar. The concept of legal education acknowledges universities to benefit the students to get the best law degree.
The leader of the ‘’Bar Council of India Committee’’ was S.R.Das in the year 1953. He maintained a record that formation of bar council would serve as an apex body for each state. The objective was to provide legal education and to set the professional environment for the lawyers. The requirements of All India Bar Council should be met in order to provide the needed standards and norms. The duty of Law Commissioner of India was to prepare a record on amendments of judicial administration. It became necessary to execute the proposals designed by the ‘All India Bar Committee’ and ‘Law Commission’ given under the Advocates Act, 1961. The first chairman and vice-chairman of All India Bar Committee were M.C Setalvad and C.K Daphaltary.
Responsibilities of BCI
The required standard and norms are laid down under section 7 of the Advocates Act, 1961. The responsibilities of the bar council are as follows:-
- Determines the rule of good behaviour and professionalism for advocates.
- Establish the approaches to be tracked by the disciplinary commission.
- Organize conferences on the legal issue by the famous lawyer and broadcast periodicals and papers.
- Aims at providing legal assistance to scheduled caste.
- Handle and put funds of the Bar Council.
- Foster legal education and define regulations of legal education.
- Point out the universities which serve as the best one for the law degree.
- Foster's amendments in Law.
- Preserves the right and concerns of the lawyers
- Aims at providing legal assistance to the miserable.
Registry of Advocates
The desired applicant should have a valid law degree to be termed as advocates. The separate rule for meeting the process of enrollment is mentioned under the Advocates Act, 1961. Students who have been serving their role as advocates can appear for All India Bar Examination. This exam is conducted by the Bar Council of India to select the skilled lawyers. It is vital to clear the examination since students get the right to practice law in the lower as well as Supreme Court of India.
Apply Now Apply Now Apply Now Apply Now Apply Now Apply Now Apply Now Apply Now Apply Now Apply Now Apply Now Apply Now